Thursday, August 28, 2008

Paramore

I like to think I am a pretty cool Mom. I let my girls wear black nail polish and skull & crossbone Vans. Some may call that projection, but I disagree. These are things that they have decided are cool. I don't even own any skull & crossbone Vans!

My oldest daughter is getting to that age where she wants to like what her little friends like. Most of them like Hannah Montana, Camp Rock and the Jonas Brothers. I am quite proud to say she doesn't really like any of the above. In an effort to help her stay current on post-toddler/pre-tween goings on, we will listen to Radio Disney when we are in the car. As a direct result, my youngest daughter, at three, loves to sing the following lyric from Hannah Montana, Best of Both Worlds, over and over and over...

You get the lemons in the front, oh, oh, oh, oh...
Every shapes, every shoes and the colors...
You get the beds of boat world!
First you (mumble mumble mumble), then you rock out the show!
You get the beds of boat world!

Now, these are not the actual lyrics. I am not entirely certain just what the actual lyrics are, and I don't care. I like Isabella's version. It's not only clever, but it really makes you think. I mean, why are there beds at boat world? Are the boat Captains sleepy?

Today Radio Disney played a song by the group Paramore. I am a fan of Paramore, and have never really considered it a kid's group. Just goes to show what I know! The people in this video are NOT in my demographic.



When you look at the lyrics, however, I think it speaks to a much older crowd. Here they are, and not Izzy's version of the lyrics, the actual lyrics:

No sir, well I don't wanna be the blame, not anymore.
It's your turn, so take a seat we're settling the final score.
And why do we like to hurt, so much?

I can't decide
You have made it harder just to go on
And why, all the possibilities where I was wrong

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
I drowned out all my sense away, with the sound of its beating.
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

I wonder, how am I supposed to feel when you're not here.
'Cause I burned every bridge I ever built when you were here.
I still try holding onto silly things, I never learn.
Oh why, all the possibilities I'm sure you've heard.

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
I drowned out all my sense away, with the sound of its beating. (beating)
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Pain make your way to me, to me.
And I'll always be just so inviting.
If I ever start to think straight,
This heart will start a riot in me,
Let's start, start, hey!

Why do we like to hurt so much?
Oh why do we like to hurt so much?

That's what you get when you let your heart win!
Whoa.

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Now I can't trust myself with anything but this,
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Right. Cause nothing says childhood like singing about emotional distress and pain. Fun! But that's the thing about "tween" music. It's so cross-generational! I have actually grown quite fond of some of these "tweeny-bopper" bands. Mostly because I am subjected to the extremely short playlist that is Radio Disney, but also because sometimes, the lyrics do actually speak to me. When they do, I find it a bit frightening, but I also think the Grateful Dead song "Casey Jones" speaks to me, and I have never even done drugs...So there goes that faulty logic. Take the Jesse McCartney song, "I'm Leaving", for example. In it he sings, "Why don't you tell him that 'I'm leaving, never coming back again, I found somebody who does it better than you can'". And it leaves me wondering, does what better, exactly? Aren't these singers, like 16? Well, I can't lie, it doesn't really leave me wondering, I get it, but my 6 year old asked me the other day, "what does he do better Mommy?". To which I felt obligated to say, "the New York Times crossword puzzle, honey". She totally bought it.

So anyway, I am putting ONE more song in this post. Yah, some adults might say Howie Day is a pussy. You are probably right. But in the Radio Disney world in which I live, this one song seems to stand out as having the potential to be slightly more adult. Plus, it speaks to me. So enjoy, and know that the next time I catch you singing "you get the beds of boat world", it's okay by me. I can totally rock out that show, too.



Oh, and in case you are wondering why there are Disney characters in this video...It's for Amy and Traci. Two beautiful faces that I don't get to see enough of anymore. Yes, girls...Disney did distort our concept of what love can be, but I am certain Prince Charming is out there. He might be just around the corner.

No comments: